Tuesday, March 15, 2016

How common is royal ancestry?

I am a true American mixed breed. I have traced ancestors from 30+ countries of origin and probably have not yet discovered them all! At first I was embarrassed because I couldn't say "oh, I'm French" or "Yes, I'm Scottish," but you have to work with the hand you're dealt and mine is a mixed bag. Is that enough cliches for you?

If you are an American with any European heritage, chances are you have ancestors from several European countries. I have been fortunate enough to stumble across several noble and royal lines in my research that have helped me to find ancestors that date back several centuries. Granted, I still have twentieth century ancestors whose lives and origins remain a mystery as well!

All of the above is my way of saying that many of us have these hidden "noble" and "royal" lines if we are able to make connections and follow leads. Royal ancestry is a much debated topic among genealogists. Some researchers value finding a royal ancestor, but others argue that though most people with Western European ancestry are descended from William the Conqueror, it is just as likely that you also descend from his groomsman.

One reason so many genealogists are able to locate and prove royal ancestry is the simple fact that royal and noble lines kept better records of their lineage while poor, often illiterate lay people did not.

To learn more about your own potential royal background, take a look at these posts and articles:

Are you descended from royalty? Who Do You Think You Are Magazine
Do you have royal blood? Your last name may tell you. Ancestry Blog
Charlemagne's DNA and our universal royalty National Geographic

No comments:

Post a Comment