Friday, October 16, 2015

Beginner Genealogy -- Brick Walls


Brick walls are probably the most frustrating part of family history research. A brick wall is simply an ancestor for which you are not able to find any leads or break-throughs that can help you move beyond them and find the generation before them. When I first started my genealogy research, I ran into several "brick walls" because most of my research was done using family sources. For an example of a researcher's brick wall ancestor, see our previous post on Joseph Martin (1811-1854). Luckily there are many resources out there to help! Below is a list of 10 steps I take when I hit a brick wall.





My strategy for working past a brick wall

1. Check for variations. It is almost impossible to find someone if you are searching for the wrong name, or the wrong spelling of their name. My great-great grandmother's first name was Jinsey. I have seen it spelled Jency, Jensey, Jencie, Jensie, Jinsie, etc. Her death certificate was on Ancestry.com for months before I found it because I hadn't tried any variation of her name other than the way it was written on her gravestone "Jinsey", which happens to be completely different than the way it is spelled on her death certificate "Jency." I also did not know her maiden name, but that's another story...

2. Look through the records you already have. I have discovered many clues from reviewing sources like census records, marriage certificates, and obituaries. If you are lucky enough to have a valuable resource, search it again for any and every clue that it may yield! I remember reviewing a marriage record to find that one of the witnesses was the bride's father, but he wasn't listed as such because neither party was a minor. He ended up leading me back three more generations for that family!

3. Make a list of records that may be useful. Did you lose your ancestor or family sometime between 1880 and 1900? Maybe that pesky missing 1890 US Federal Census is to blame! After taking a look at the resources I do have, I try to come up with a game-plan for which records I may need. I create anything from a list of missing chunks of time in the person's records so far to a list of document and record types that may be useful.

4. Take a break! There's nothing like stepping away from the situation to clear your head and come back to the research task with a fresh pair of eyes. I use my "break" to work on a completely different line, or use it to step away from genealogy for a few days or weeks.

5. Join a local genealogical society! I am the vice president of my county's genealogy society, so I use those connections when I hit a brick wall. Sometimes talking it out can help to reorganize your thoughts and most of the time another research can point you in the right direction. Other researchers can always give you their opinions on research family history and most of your fellow family historians don't mind helping out!

6. Find similar ancestors and research others like them. Is there something about your ancestor that may make it more difficult to find them? Was he or she undocumented? Was he or she born a slave and later emancipated? Try researching specialized methods for searching for someone of their particular ethnic or national group, or for people of their profession or in the region where they were from. Sometimes a little historical research can lead to fascinating clues.

7. Do local history research. Hanging onto the coattails of the "find similar ancestors" strategy, researching the local history of the region in which your ancestor was born, lived, and/or died can provide the context and historical backdrop for his or her life. County and city history books can be a valuable resource, especially if your ancestor was around for the locality's pioneer days.

8. Go to the library. I'm a librarian, so I'm at my local library all the time! When possible, use local repositories for the area from which your ancestor came, or try to access records online through local public libraries and archives. Remember to call, email, write, or stop in with your research questions. If you can't contact a library or archive for the area you are researching, visit your on local library, preferrably one with a local history and/or genealogy department. Librarians love helping researchers solve mysteries!

9. Research collateral lines. Collateral relatives are those who are not in your direct pedigree, but are blood relatives. These are usually aunts, uncles, cousins, and their families. Our next Beginner Genealogy post will cover this method of breaking through brick walls in more depth, so stay tuned!

10. Helpful websites and blog posts. Another thing I do when I'm taking a break from a brick wall, or when I'm coming back to one, is to read about other researchers' approaches to brick wall research.

Below is a list of other helpful websites and blog posts that contain strategies and ideas for breaking through genealogy brick walls.

20 Things to do when you are stumped Find My Past

Genealogy Research Tips: Breaking through brick walls and getting past dead ends New York Public Library

Brick wall strategies for dead-end family trees About Parenting

Brick wall research GenealogyPro.com

Help for Busting Genealogy Brick Walls Genealogy Insider

Tips for removing stubborn genealogy research blockers Archives.com

No comments:

Post a Comment